We know there is already a need for this, even within the social work courses at universities and colleges. Often social workers do not get the chance to really meet the young people they will work with, to get to know their real feelings, until they are trained and often by then it is too late to change their minds about the profession they have embarked on.
The youth parliament is about creating a public mind-shift about the way we view children and their experiences. Public debate and publicity can help this project. There is a growing amount of real evidence as to the abuse of children.
Below is a list of the cases we were investigating just before our closure under John Major's administration:
• Lisa G 1989 – Split from siblings against her wishes- violent and humiliating assault by staff in secure unit MKH Greenwich . Ward of Court place in care by the London Borough of, Kingston upon Thames .
• Peter B, sexually abused/child porn, in Grafton Close, in Care to Richmond.(898 0880)
• Steve E, also known as ‘R' sexually abused/child porn, in Grafton Close, in Care to Richmond .
• Peter B, sexually abused/child porn, in Rodney Road , in Care to Surrey .
• John B, sexually abused/child porn, in Rodney Road , in Care to Surrey .
• Adam, ward of court, sexually abused/child porn, Grafton Close.
• ‘R' Bruce , Care Richmond, sexually abused/child porn, Grafton Close.
• Kevin B, sexually abused/child porn, Teddington Park .
• Chris , care of East Sussex sexually abused/child porn
• Paul R, Care of Surrey, sexually abused/child porn, Duncan ch, Tidworth Hampts
• ‘P',sexually abused/child Porn
• Allan B, Care of Richmond , Grafton Close, sexually abused/child Porn
• Lance C, Care of Richmond , Grafton Close, sexually abused/child Porn
• Mark S, Care of Richmond , Grafton Close, sexually abused/child Porn
• Tony, Care of Richmond , Grafton Close, sexually abused/child Porn
• Lee, Care of Richmond , Grafton Close, sexually abused/child Porn
• Paul S, care of Richmond ,(12 years old) Foster Home, sexually abused/child Porn
• Andrew, Bradford , sexually abused/child porn/snuff movies. We have all the evidence of flights, hotels etc. Andrew subsequently kidnapped from one of our development workers house when he stepped out her flat door. He had a blanket thrown over his head and was taken away in a vehicle. Seen next day in a Rolls Royce by a member. A few days later showed up at our offices demanding we give him back all evidence as he had the Walthamstow brothers outside waiting for him and the evidence. He was told he would be set up in a nice cushy job as a photographer back in Bradford if he behaved.
• Julie R, aged 15, July 1985, Greenwich , tortured with an electrical carving knife and involved in a porn ring. Now in long term psychiatric.
• Sharon B, Greenwich , raped, tortured, beaten with hammer, dec 1986.
• Pauline P. Beechfield, west Sussex, suspected child abuse there, became abuser later to another girl Michelle A, who she abused and tortured.
• Tania W, Beechfield, suspected abuse there too. Black magic rites, torture & sex.
• Kay R, Beechfield, suspected abuse there too, later believed to be part of the Tottenham ring. Kay became an abuser.
• Margaret F also became abusers & tortured a girl in Tower Hamlets, Joanne Wood.
• Melanie M, girl in MKH at the time, witness.( Coppetts Rd CH many of the girls had been there too)
• Maria S, Newham care, affair with staff at MKH and part of Tottenham ring.
• Dawn C, MKH, took part in sex video's
• Maria M-restrained lost count how many times, stripped searched (photos?).
• Tasma F- MKH
• Juliette S- MKH
• Kay R-MKH
• Sonia H, Melanie Klien House took part in sex video's
• Nicola F-Paul became an abuser was also in MKH, previously raped & tortured girls in Tower Hamlets. Possibly a victim of the Tottenham ring too.
• Nicola P (known as C) again developing torched tendencies whilst at MKH.
• Mark A sexually abused in Forbes Hse officer in charge.
• Michelle A, Haringey SSD, was at Coppetts road.
• Hazel D, Haringey, also in Coppetts road.
• Lorraine , Haringey, Coppetts road.
• Jane R, Tower Hamlets, known to be a high class prostitute, MKH.
• Katie C, Bromley, known to be prostitute. MKH.
• Sharon H, MKH, subjected to being inappropriately photographed by a male staff.
• Beechfield-mixed-Has secure unit-badly run down-still checking complaints.
• Coppetts road-mixed-Rumours of sexual abuse.
• Grove Lodge- mixed- Sexual abuse allegations.
• Castle Hill-Grafton Lodge-boys-main user Harrow SSD-sexual abuse and violence. Rent boy sex and porno ring, distributed to Amsterdam and paedophile group in the UK . Suspected murder of a boy after disclosure to us.
• Grafton Lodge-boys- administered by Hounslow & Richmond. Violence & Sexual abuse.
• Richmond social services-boys-Two senior members of staff running a west end rent boy network.
• South Wales-boys-boy thrown out window in private boys home, appalling conditions and allegations of physical abuse.
• 369 Romford Rd -mixed-Newham- rape allegation of girl by a member of staff.
• Frant Court-girls-rape and violence allegations for years.
• Jordans Brooke Hse-mixed-Run by Gloustershire. Male member of staff sexually abusing girls.
• Stamford Hse-boys-Secure unit extremely violent, sexual abuse allegations.
• New Hays-mixed- Liverpool- physical & sexual abuse.
• Dorset Wharf -mixed- Children's home run by Hammersmith & Fulham. Allegations of sex & violence.
• Birmingham-mixed-Scandals in four homes being investigated by us.
• Haringey-Kitchener House. Allegations of physical and sexual abuse. Current casework.
• Loxley Hall-Boys-Sexual and physical abuse still going on despite one prosecution.
• Mount Road-mixed- Taking children to Soho on vice trips.
• Angel Road -mixed-Lambeth home-Sexual abuse of children with widespread cover up.
• Adele Road -mixed-Home run by Lambeth-Allegations of sexual & physical abuse and a cover up.
• Green Lanes – Greenwich-Sexual abuse and violence- we exposed
• Parkview – Sexual abuse and violence we exposed.
• Newton Abbott-mixed-Allegations of 10 young people being sexually abused at this home.
• Spurgeons child care-boys-private home in Bedfordshire, photos and sexual abuse of boys.
• Netherton-mixed-local authority home in East Kilbride . Appalling state of the home. Allegations of sexual & physical abuse.
• Downcell Road -mixed- Hereford & Worcester home. Allegations of sexual abuse & violence. Current casework.
• Arrow Project Cumbria our Manchester office received reports of abuse. The whereabouts of the Manchester files are still unknown but an ex member says she knows where they are. We have all the work reports Nationally However.
• Kingswood School-Residential home in Surrey, we have been told that there is a lot of sexual abuse going on in there have not yet got hold of a young person to check this out with.
• Tyrffell-boys-Bangor-Reports of physical and sexual abuse there, not yet checked out.
• Sarah C-in foster care can't talk to anyone re her past, the fact that if she hadn't been taken into care she would not have made her fifth birthday, feels alone and isolated.
• Langton House-Mixed-It closed itself down after us working over a year with the young people to expose it. No independent inquiry that we called for. Unfortunately we never hear from any of the victims after and have no clue where they all went to. We still believe the flower beds in the garden should be dug up as some may have been killed off. Young People being given Brain Scans, medication, violently restrained, heads banged off walls, kicked in stomach, dragged down corridors, no formal training for staff. Allegations of sexual abuse. No formal investigation. Humiliation, verbal abuse and racism as means to control. Male staff taking part in strip-searching. Forcible sedation as punishment. Calming down room used which is unlawful imprisonment. Tampax given out by male staff with verbal humiliation to the young girls. No formal way to complain. Names of our cases were;
• Haley S– 40 pages interview with Haley-It was her 1 st letter that blew the whistle.
• Tracey H
• Ziggy W
• Sharon F
• Carloine S
• Scott R
• Steven B
• Del M
• Luke C
• Bridget tried to hang herself in the toilet
• Noel-88'-89'Unnessary regular Brain Scans, didn't know what it was and wasn't told-Abuse of Medication-sedated-Failed to taunt him-Restrained with force-Locked up-violence. Noel says that all members of staff used to regularly strip search residents regardless of gender.
• Kevin B
• Nicolas R
• Christina B
• Paula-Blind Girl-failed regularly for getting upset and speaking loudly. People used to hit her behind her back so she bit them and they'd fail her.
• Joan G- Kept in most of the time, not the full shilling so staff used to wind her up and then restrain her. She wasn't allowed anywhere without a member of staff, they treated her very badly.
• A blind boy- staff used to hit him a lot and one day he wet himself so they rubbed his face in it. One member of staff regularly threw water at him.
• Claude R- Behaved well, failed regulary, staff think you are talking about them that's why they fail you.
• Barry B
• Green Lanes- Greenwich top Tory MP supported a care staff- unsure why?
• Yvette F – Severely abused throughout her care under Southwark SSD. One of the worst ever heard of and still in the system-should write a book but fear they have cabbaged her.
• Cleveland enquiry-
• Martin H- Abuser convicted.
• Ugine L- Young person in Care- Lancashire run away from children's home as he does not like the way the place is run.
• Ombudsman report gives compensation to 3 of our clients from New Eltham
• Hill End adolescent unit 1990- We made the report, ‘Therapy of Fear'.
• Bromley Children's Homes Privatised with the children in them. We took the case to stop it to the high court but lost. Alex H& Laura S lead the young people.
• Epsom SSD make 16 year old boy John F homeless.
• Catherine A- abused by the care system in & out of secure since 13yrs old.
• Andrea R- Runnaway 16 yrs old- Liverpool .
• Chaz M, 16 yrs old, Hackney, Been in mental home, not mental.
• Patrica G. Discharged from care at 12 yrs old now 20.
• Fiona F-Southwark-16 yrs old in a Putney hostel.
• Erica offered high rise bed-sit with damp and no heating.
• Mathew S-16yrs old-sent to boarding school in Wales from Essex .
• Fay B, put in secure.
• Richard R-Corringhan SSD. Has a real mum wants not to be in care 12 yrs old currently in foster care.
• Jenny C-40 placements whilst in care. SSD East Park , Hull .
• Ms D M, 8 months pregnant, been in MKH very violent placement and fears her area so wants re-housing elsewhere.
• Eugene T -17 yrs old suffered abuse for three years every day, in Fairhaven , now skipped the country to New Zealand .
• Andrew K neighbourhood office. In care at 14 yrs offered no housing after a short term in prison.
• Edward M- Nottingham SSD-Full care order since 18 months problems getting a flat from SSD since leaving care.
• Lorna N-17 yrs old-Avon SSD- Lorna at the age of 4yrs and siblings were beaten by staff at Florbrow Children's home Bristol . She complained years later and this was never taken seriously even though the SSD she believes knew at the time.
• Tanya M-moved away from home area so has runaway
• Michelle K- all residents given one week to vacate Derwent house after sudden closure.
• Wilbert C- Put into a hostel by social worker, he was sexually assaulted by his room mate, nothing done, stabbed by his room mate, room mate moved to another room, all his electrical goods stolen, nothing done, bank book stolen, nothing done, complained to SSD and hostel treasurer, kicked out of hostel and told he needs to see a shrink, then put into Wembley hostel, still went back to complain, when one day they took him to the hospital and sedated him for a month. Came out of hospital looked for legal help, no one would help, got in trouble with police put on remand for 2 months, taken back to mental hospital for 6 months and sedated regularly we have the evidence notes. Now out and still seeking to address these matters. He seem's very angry and talks a lot, bit mad, hardly surprising.
• The Old Mill Hse-Serious allegations received as to the treatment of residents. Massive file on this. Imposition of a points or marks system. Continued use of expletives by staff. Violent restraint. The use by staff of young people to perform menial tasks for them such as; washing their cars, brass cleaning, ironing of personal laundry. They were told they could earn extra money of 52 pence which was then eroded to nothing by staff. They found this routine to earn extra income exploitative and intimidating. The banishment of one young person to eat meals in the animal shed, to sleep in a caravan, to sleep on a mattress on the landing. The irregular supply of clean and inadequate-sized towels for washing and bathing. Insufficient heating during the winter months. Limiting drinks of water, tea, coffee to 5 a day. Second hand clothing including underwear given to residents, no new clothes whatsoever. Used underwear having to be left in a bucket of disinfectant each night, found to humiliate residents especially at weekends when it wouldn't get washed. Showers not working one week and staff catered for but residents humiliated by having to do a stand up wash. Enforced viewing of early TV news as homework found to be unsatisfying and unhelpful. Staff opened personal mail and monitored personal phone calls. Occasionally personal calls were allowed but only by a phone box in the village. Forced to take part in games or marked down as unsocialable. Young people allowed 5 mins privacy in their rooms after which they are brought back down by a member of staff. Young people say they are allowed outside for ten minutes a day. No laughing permitted as this leads to marking down. Young people are only allowed a bedside lamp once they reach the age of 15 yrs. One resident given no support whilst pregnant and following a subsequent abortion. One resident had her hamster confiscated and never given back. One resident told she was selfish for wanting to find her father and that her mother didn't want her anyway. During a visit by the fire Inspector the residents were told to run upstairs and close all the fire doors which were usually left open. All young people complained they were not given sufficient food. Some of the Young People; Vicky B, Sarah Mc K, Lisa C, John B and more no names yet.
• Michael D-Dison Hall-14 yrs old-Violently restrained.
• Tony Mc G-11yrs old-Secure-Dison Hall
• Gary D-Dison Hall-15 yrs old-member of staff head butted him in the secure unit.
• Foad - 15 yrs old- violently restrained told ghost stories.
• Derwent-11 yrs old girl.
• Julie B-Abused by Mr B 3 times a week till she stopped screaming-Oxford professional telling us Feb-June 1992-Rope burns + bruises + anal agony due to massive penetration over a long period. Child porn video's of ‘Mr Men', costumes. Dinosaurs, scenes of fairy stories with monsters enacted at great expense for sophisticated child porn films. The plan is to give the child back to the father.
• Ricki F-Orchard Lodge-Grove Lodge-Redhill assessment centre-sexual abuse by older boys and them wanking in front of staff and months in secure, saw x rated Omen and other films.
• Sara P- Allegations of abuse at The Grange. Complicated abuse background. A bit crazy now in a strange way.
• Darren B-Cleobury Mortimer School- Abused by two male staff for years. 6 other boys have reported abuse.
• Vincent S. 10 yrs old at the time. Grafton Children's Home-Child porn Videos. Many other children involved. They would sit in the children's home in their dressing gowns when one by one they would be called to the top floor, first floor, emergency room, to have medicals. In there was a cot, weighing scales, seleotape, masking tape, cameras', Polaroid's. This went on every night for about 2 months. There were six boys but he would never touch the girls. Then we would go to a house in Sea Road , Bexhill. There was a sea Road and he used to drive up the hill. He had an Alsatian dog that sat in the back of his car. 1979-1981. Another House was next to the church in Bexhill. Another place they took Vincent was Elm guest House, Barnes. Two guys took him into a room and there were video machines and everything in there. He said Vincent was going to have a medical. He masturbated him and made him have oral sex with him, whilst he wiped baby oil all over him, tied him with the seleotape around his legs and arms and around his neck. Arms were behind his back and nice twice. This lasted about an hour. The man then exchanged money with Vincent's carer and the carer then took Vincent back to the home. If the carer made a command Vincent would jump to it as he was very scared. The medicals started again for another couple of months but got worse and worse as they seemed to get excited when they ripped the seleotape off. The home had frequent guests. One Christmas some Chinese people arrived so no abuse took place. The girls got perfumes the boys got tonnes of underwear, the reason being that they were always ruined as they were ripped off all the time. About 3-4 months later Vincent was taken to the guest house again. This time two men had sex with each other and then tied Vincent to the bed and filmed. They were also watching a video of scouts. When he left the guest hse he saw them remove big boxes & cases, one silver case. Vincent was nearly 12 yrs old by then. Vincent and Peter broke into the staff's bedroom one day and a silent alarm went to the police station so the police turned up. They had turned the place upside down but found nothing. The police told them to get out, saying they could be prosecuted. The cleaner came in to tidy and found photos and videos of young people behind the cushions. The police were called back but the staff disappeared. Vincent never saw that staff again but was told he got six years. Then he found in 1990 that he pleaded guilty and got 3 months probation and then went back to working with children. In 1990 we were helping the owner of Elm Guest House to put a case together of possible abuse going on in her guest hse without her knowledge. 3 months before the trial at court, she being the chief witness with all the evidence of who was in and out of her establishment including prominent people, with photographs of them, was found dead in suspicious circumstances. I met Vincent co-incidentally, at Madame Jo-Jo's; we both said at the same time, they murdered her.
• Terry C, sexually abused by officer in charge of Yarwood Road .
• John T-adopted against his will-access to natural family messed about with lies told to stop access-natural mother died-John 12-13 yrs old wants something done about the whole case.
• Sharlene E-Lancashire-Abused in the care system-we investigated- Sharlene now dead, went to funeral.
• Robert C –Barnet SSD- Abused in psychiatric units- Suicide-went to funeral.
• D M- believed to have been infiltrated by Nottingham child abuse gang after we exposed them on Channel 4, when she was 16 yrs old, now has two children by this older man, who has full custody of the children, we cannot prove he is abusing them but hold suspicion. Need to pay a top surveillance team or set up a specialist private detective agency. Police are not careful or useful in these matters nor the social services and big charities even though we've told them our suspicions, the older man looks cleaner than clean and DM looks like she abandoned them when she walked out once she had saved £20,000 & bought herself a house and took him to court to gain full custody, he had a female top legal team from London and won on grounds of stability for the children staying at there home. The mother has access twice a week. She is more aware now of what possibly happened as she was very young then. The older man controls the children and gives DM a lot of unrelenting hassle. He took her to court for half her house but she won and he now wants to get passports for the children but luckily needs her permission to do so, she is refusing. Now he is scaring the children and alienating them from seeing there mother, who knows with what threats, they now say they don't want to see her, its a nightmare. The system has shit in its eyes. This is not uncommon. We have told all the relevant authorities and they can do nothing! It would sound mad to suggest infiltration or would it? But those kids are scared of him.
• We have the names of the abusers and the abused but it is folly to hand them over to the police potentially putting our ex-clients in danger as well as not having permission to do so. We have our new way of dealing with this and when we are successfully back in business with all our workers ( we won't come back by half's as we could be ripped apart) then we can deal with these cases historically and the abuses that are going on now. WE WILL have systems to bust up abuse and they will not be hi-lighted on this website. We need our own security as these abusers are dangerous as we have experienced first hand. These cases were given to us in strict confidence and are protected by the data protection act which is why the names are obsurced. If young people have chosen to contact the police on these matters then that was their choice, we know most of them did and yet were not listened to. They did choose to contact us because we were young people running our own organisation who had been through the care system.
Our experience in the field of children's issues
- N.A.Y.P.I.C. is the consumer-led organization first set up in 1979 until
1993 when funding came to a halt. This being at a time when we were exposing
atrocities such as:
- Langton house (American Medical International private care hospital for children) psychiatric hospital, which we had closed down making News at 10 and costing AMI 8 Million Pounds.
- 'Pin Down' which prompted a public enquiry
- The Nottingham ritual abuse case that we helped work on with, Channel 4 Dispatches.
- Melanie Klein House secure unit Greenwich which we had closed down
- The Carol Cazier (who died mysteriously during our investigation and shortly before the court case, which was about to reveal influential people's involvement) case dating back to 1973, which made front page news in the Daily Express back then.
- Our child pornography and snuff movies exposure, which made front page in the Times newspaper.
- The Bromley privatization of children's homes (selling children with the homes), which we took to the hight court , the council narrowly escaping paying £600,000 if we won, however the director of social services and the chair of SSD both being arrested and put in the cells for taking bribes and countless more exposures which we are well documented on exposing
- We created a tide of justice for children with abusers certainly knowing where it was being exposed from and had as a result many enemies in the midst.
- We will no longer put our workers in danger our our organization in jeopardy by doing casework.
- There is evidence to suggest that workers felt they were being observed and threatened. The subject of child porn rings attracted a lot of attention before NAYPIC's closure (two other well known for exposing abuse organizations also had their government funding withdrawn) and some evidence suggests that well known personalities were involved.
- Children and young people need better protection than merely exposure, they need a really powerful voice that will be listened to in order to attempt to actually stop the abuse.
- We are now back. We would like to extend our agenda further now by advocatong a youth parliament for all young people as a voice, regardless of having been abused, to have broader representation.
- Our organization is exclusively consumer-led and as such, we have already for many years identified the need for representation.
- Our last conference in 1993 which had 1100 members attend, as well as our 9 full-time workers stated that a full membership and the advocating of a youth parliament was the future. Was this too powerful considering the old style way we used to work as within a few months we were gone!
We would like to make it clear, we are not housed by another organization, nor are we adult-led like all the organizations that do in some way empower young people.
QUOTEWe are and always have been through many of our strife's, a truly youth-led organization, blatantly the original and only, National Association of Young People In Care.
Empowerment is identified in the dictionary as a gift and although good it is not a right
As such we already have a wealth of knowledge, publications, videos, a twenty seven year-old filing system with computers included, information and experience and when funded a very powerful nationally implemented Structure and National Executive Committee.
There are countless reasons we, as NN/YP are needed. The original N.A.Y.P.I.C. over the years has campaigned relentlessly for young people to be consulted by the policy makers. They are after all the consumers of the service and decisions made about their care, have far reaching effects on young peoples lives.
We maintain that no person should be expected to live their lives within a system that they have not participated in building. Adults at least have the right to vote.NN/YP is a unique organization in this country, it is not a professionally-led organization, it has not developed theoretical practice to identify the psychological and sociological influences which may determine the way in which young people should be cared for. It is simply an organization, which has developed its constitution and policies by listening to its members.
The original N.A.Y.P.I.C. has successfully campaigned and made significant impact on the way young people are now heard.
Our successful campaigns include:
- Participation in reviews
- The abolition of the clothing order book
- Access to files
- In 1983, the original N.A.Y.P.I.C. submitted evidence to the House of Commons,
social services select committee. The committee later said to a community
care journalist, "we've been amazed at the resiliences, in the face
of the experiences that have had to go through. Their maturity has surprised
many members". The original N.A.Y.P.I.C.'s 40-page report, with
its concluding children's charter was:
- representative of an increasing number of children in care who are becoming vocal in expressing their views
- The organizations' first campaign, to ban the clothing order book received backing from the Association of Directors of Social Services, the Residential Care Association and the British Association of Social Workers.
- Our second campaign, the rights of young people to attend reviews and case conferences, was launched with some 3,000 questionnaires to young people in different situations and was supported by a parallel survey by the N.F.C.A.
- The original N.A.Y.P.I.C. has achieved recognition in the field of child care policy has been supported by the A.D.S.S., the S.C.A, the National Children's Bureau, the National Council of Voluntary Organizations, the National Foster Care Association, Community Service Volunteers and many others.
- The original N.A.Y.P.I.C. was also endorsed in the 1984 Select Committee enquiry into Childcare and gave evidence to the Barclay Committee.
- The original N.A.Y.P.I.C. gave evidence to the Stafforshire 'pin down' inquiry and also the government review into residential childcare, headed by Sir William Utting.